[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

Phil Hodge hodge at stsci.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:29:06 EDT 2007

Steve Allen wrote:

> So what applications are there, other than fv, which do not a priori
> know what they are expecting when they read a FITS file?
> In particular, are there any which, when they find extensions, actually
> take different actions based on what they discover?

The catfits task in the STSDAS package under IRAF prints a "table of
contents" for a FITS file.  If the EXTEND keyword is absent, catfits
does not look for extensions.  I won't defend the EXTEND keyword; I'm
just answering your question by giving an example.  If an application
expects data in one or more extensions, there isn't much point in the
application first checking the EXTEND keyword.

Phil