[fitsbits] New DUMP FITS extension

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 16 18:55:01 EDT 2007

Hi Maren -

This is a good question, for which there is no real answer.  One can do
these things, so the question becomes is it good practice?  What should
we recommend?  One answer would be that if it is array data of any
dimension it is reasonable to store it as an "image" (that is, a
regularly sampled, multidimensional array, with associated metadata
and possibly a WCS, flux units, etc.).  This can include 1-D data
such as a spectrum.

If an IFU produces a spectral data cube then this qualifies as a
3-D image.  If the IFU produces a bunch of 1-D spectra however,
this is probably best stored as a table of 1-D spectra, e.g., as
in the Euro-3D format (which is based on binary table).  One can do
things like pack the extracted spectra into the rows of a 2-D image,
but aside from being a trick this is problematic when it comes to
things such as associated error information or quality flags.

I think these cases are all different than for example, storing a
general file blob such as a GZIP as a 1-D byte "image".  For that we
want a general container which can say something about the contents,
rather than pretend it is an Image object just because we can store
it in an array.  I would rather add a general container extension for
this purpose.

	- Doug