[fitsbits] New DUMP FITS extension

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 16 15:51:18 EDT 2007

Doug,

The Hinode satellite project is now publicly distributing FITS data
files with this DUMP extension.  They apparently saw the DUMP extension
name in the list of proposed extensions in the appendix to the FITS
standard and decided to use that extension name for their telemetry
data.  Even though there is no specification of what the DUMP extension
keywords should look like, they assumed the keywords would essentially
be the same as in an image extension with BITPIX = 8 and NAXIS = 1.

The question is what do we (the FITS community in general, and the
IAUFWG in particular) do now?  Should we draft a definition document
describing the DUMP extension (as is currently being done for the
FOREIGN extension type)?  Do we want to go further and endorse the DUMP
extension for use in other data sets distributed by other projects?  Or,
would we rather discourage the use of the DUMP (or any other new
extension type) if the data can easily be contained in an existing
extension type? Personally, I would rather not see a proliferation of
new extension types that are structurally identical to the existing
IMAGE extension.

Bill