[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 16 11:17:06 EDT 2007

The new draft of the FITS Standard (available from
http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/) does not propose any changes at all to the
definition or use of random groups.   One of the proposed changes,
however,  is to require that the PCOUNT and GCOUNT keywords must
immediately follow the last NAXISn keyword in all conforming extensions,
but this does not apply to random groups.  The Standard tries to make a
clear distinction between the random groups structure and conforming
extensions, so hopefully there should be no confusion between the 2.

Bill Pence

Dr. William Pence                       pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)