[fitsbits] FITS on Wikipedia

Don Wells dwellscho at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 18:09:01 EDT 2007

In a private message, Norman Gray (Leicester Univ, UK) has corrected
some of the statements in my posting.

Don Wells wrote:
> Rob Seaman wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FITS
>
> The only name that I see in a brief glance at the history page is that
> of a graduate student at Manchester, Mike Peel:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel

I looked for the history in the wrong place.   See
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=FITS&action=history
It appears that the FITS Wikipedia page was started four years ago, and
that there are multiple contributors.  However, most of the change
history entries have alias names (and even IP addresses instead of
names), and many of them were made by automated software (BOTs).  As a
result, I do not know how to determine exactly which persons are
responsible for this fine Wikipedia page, or even how many persons are
responsible.

I hope that any of the contributors to the Wikipedia FITS page who are
<fitsbits> or <sci.astro.fits> readers will identify themselves here so
that they can accept some praise and thanks, at least from me.

> .. It may be appropriate for members of the FITS community to produce
> translated versions of this first FITS Wikipedia page. ..

My mistake -- I should have checked for links before composing the
sentence above.  The "in other languages" section at the bottom of the
left side of the window has three links:  Spanish, Finnish, French.
The Spanish page appears to be a full translation of the English page.
The French page appears to date from 2003, and the Spanish page from
2006.  Obviously anybody in the worldwide FITS community could add to
these translation pages.

Thank you, Norman, for alerting me to these corrections.

-Don Wells