[fitsbits] INHERIT and Hierarchical Grouping

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 17 16:20:23 EDT 2007

Hi Bill -

I just took a quick look at this.  A word of warning: when I first
heard of this convention some weeks ago, I thought from the name that
what was being referred to was the HIERARCH (hierarchical keyword)
convention from ESO.  I see now that this is something completely
different.

I only had time to skim the document, but it does appear to offer a
more general alternative to INHERIT, and does much more.  It reminds
me somewhat of the GROUP construct in VOTable, which might be worth
looking at as a comparision (the VOTable GROUP refers to fields rather
than tables or extensions, but otherwise is similar in providing a
way to describe hierarchical relationships).  One difference is that
in the FITS HGC a group tells what other groups it is a member of,
as well as lists member extensions, whereas in VOTable GROUP, a GROUP
only lists its member elements, which can be either other GROUPs or
simpler member elements.

Both of these constructs provide generic ways to specify a logical
structure which applies to an otherwise unstructured collection of
objects; since the structure is not explicit, the data can be viewed
either way.  An alternative approach is a data model, for example
the entity-relationship model often used in relational databases.
This can describe more complex relationships and does not require
use of an explict grouping construct, but is less direct.

 	- Doug