[fitsbits] Start of the 'INHERIT' Public Comment Period

Peter Bunclark psb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 04:37:43 EDT 2007

Brad Cavanagh wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Peter Bunclark <psb at ast.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> The "Extent of Usage" bullet could be extended with something like:
>> "Also used by various instruments and data pipelines operated by, or
>> partly by, the United Kingdom, such as INT/WFC, UKIRT/WFCAM and
>> ESO/VISTA/VIRCAM."
>

> The data reduction pipeline run at UKIRT for WFCAM does not use FITS
> files, so perhaps this should read "CASU/WFCAM" instead.
>
> Cheers,
>  Brad.

Indeed, it is only the UK pipeline that supplies science products to the
community, and raw data to ESO as part of our international partnership,
which naturally requires raw WFCAM frames to be converted to FITS. The
name of the telescope remains "UKIRT", however... Since we're talking
about a FITS-convention registry, does that little bit of internal
politics really matter? Clearly this registry does not apply to the
original NDF files.

Pete.