[fitsbits] Start of the 'INHERIT' Public Comment Period

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Thu Apr 5 15:14:59 EDT 2007

I have to express some concern about registering the INHERIT convention.
The documentation notes a number of potential problems that can occur when
FITS software that is unaware of the convention is used to read, interpret,
and write new copies of files that use INHERIT.  I consulted with Perry
Greenfield, one of the authors of the document, as to whether these problems
arise in practice or not.  He said yes, indeed, they do, and that he would
prefer to discourage people from using the convention.

If we are to include INHERIT in the FITS registry, we should perhaps do so
solely to document the practice.  However, it seems to me too fragile a
construct to recommend for wider adoption.  It would be cleaner, I think, to
define more clearly the rules for how primary headers pertain to extension
headers (e.g., the concept of inheritance applies by default, or whatever).
This is something we might recommend to the recently formed FITS review
panel to discuss.

Bob