[fitsbits] Start of "Foreign File Encapsulation" Public Comment Period

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 2 12:05:06 EDT 2006

Hi Tom -

These are all good comments, but I think we need to be clear on
what the registry of FITS conventions is intended to be used for.
I thought it was to be used (at least in part) to document existing
FITS conventions - NOT standards - which are already in use.  In the
case of the foreign file convention we are not trying to design a
new FITS standard, but merely document and register something which
has been in use for some years.  There are numerous other existing
conventions of this type.  If this is our goal then it is inappropriate
to consider making major changes to what is an existing convention.
If instead our goal is to design a new FITS standard, that is a
very different thing and we might do things very differently this
time around.

Also - FITS defines a general extension mechanism which makes it
possible to, well, define extensions to the standard.  Isn't that
what a convention is?

 	- Doug