[fitsbits] complex integers ? (was 64-bit ...)

LC's No-Spam Newsreading account nospam at mi.iasf.cnr.it
Fri May 13 13:09:32 EDT 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, William Pence wrote:

> > ...and while on the subject, can anyone explain the purpose of
> > "integer complex" keyvalues?

Complex variables is another thing I've never used in real life (only
once as a student doing a very naive model of the hydrogen atom, and
once playing a Mandelbrot set generation program) :-)

> The FITS format was modeled on the available Fortran formats, and the
> Fortran complex constant is defined as "a pair or real or integer
> constants."

I've checked a couple of manuals, and yes ... constants are written in
the source code as (real,real) or (integer,integer), but complex
variables are stored as a couple of REAL values, and syntax rules for
REAL constants apply, so it's a mere formatting issue ...

... it's simpler to write i as (0,1) that (0.0E+00,1.0E+00) :-)