[fitsbits] 64-bit integer comments

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizir.u-strasbg.fr
Thu May 12 08:07:12 EDT 2005

About the signed/unsigned dilemna for P/Q items in binary tables,
I tend to prefer the original FITS definitions (published in
1995A&AS..113..159C) which explicitely says "negative offsets are
not permitted" -- which defacto limits the value of the P offset
to 2**31-1 (the actual length of the heap might be however
larger, if the last array is a large matrix). Similarly a limitation
of the Q offset to 2**63-1 (but again the heap might be larger)
looks quite reasonable. There is no real need to introduce the
unsigned arithmetics -- but I feel important to clearly specify that
"negative offsets are not permitted".

For the BITPIX=64, personally I didn't see any convincing argument for
refusing it. Why forbid the usage of FITS to represent e.g. the accurate
tick of an event on an (x,y)  grid ?