[fitsbits] 64-bit integers

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed May 4 12:29:36 EDT 2005

Walter Jaffe wrote:
> I support the proposal if anyone has an application to which 64-bit
> integers are relevant.  Whether any particular computer or software
> application can handle 64-bit integers (in "native" form) is mostly
> irrelvant, since FITS is a transport medium, not a local internal
> format.

The data analysis software used by the high energy astrophysics community
generally uses FITS as the internal analysis format as well as the archive
format.  Many of the analysis packages used by the UV/optical/IR research
community also use FITS as the primary internal format.  The radio research
community on the otherhand still seems to largely follow the model of only
using FITS as an archive or transport format.

Bill
Dr. William Pence                          William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)