[fitsbits] Spectral FITS -- encoding extraction area

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:13:28 EST 2005

The "pixel mask" facility used in IRAF and some other projects does exactly
this.  Bill (Pence) - do you know what happened to that paper we did on
compression in FITS some years back, which included a discussion of pixel
masks?  Pixel masks are good for outlining irregular areas and can be
expressed in a compressed from in a binary table.

The purpose of the region stuff in VO is mainly to outline regions on the
sky in world coordinates.  This gets compiled into more efficient formats
such as HTM or pixel mask for use by software.  This approach is better
for working in "world coordinate" space; the pixel mask approach may be
preferable for describing masks such as extraction masks, exposure masks,
etc.  at the level of an instrument or detector.     Doug