[fitsbits] FITS MIME Internet Draft

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Feb 15 13:56:58 EST 2005

The Internet Draft which defines the MIME types for FITS has been in
the queue of the RFC-Editor for several months.  The rate of
processing of items in queue hints that the RFC Editor will soon begin
detailed review of the contents of the Internet Draft.

The text of the Internet Draft has been approved by the IAU FITS working
group, and I expect that any changes to the text as a result of the
RFC Editor will be minor.  The most relevant changes I forsee are in
the contents of any URLs that point to the usage of FITS on the Internet.

I consider it likely that some of the URLs in the Internet Draft
are suboptimal for pointing at various FITS related applications,
documentation, and software.
If there are any other URLs, or better URLs, which are good examples
of how FITS and the FITS MIME type may be used on the Internet, I
would appreciate knowing about them within the next two weeks or so.

For full details on the FITS MIME Internet Draft see
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/fits/mime/

The current text of the Internet Draft is available as
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/internet-drafts/draft-allen-fitsmime-00.txt

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla