[fitsbits] New owner/moderator for <fitsbits>

Don Wells dwells at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 27 13:56:34 EDT 2004

Dear friends of FITS,

I retired from NRAO four months ago, after 40 years on astronomy
payrolls.  I still have a small office space at NRAO, and I still have
my <dwells at nrao.edu> account, but I am definitely in the process of
reducing my professional activity level, slowly but steadily.

the past 17 years.  The time has come for me to begin transferring
that responsibility to someone else.  I have asked Bill Pence to join
me as co-owner/co-moderator of <fitsbits>, and he has accepted.  The
suffix line on traffic and on the web pages associated with <fitsbits>
now reads 'fitsbits list run by William.D.Pence at nasa.gov, dwells at
nrao.edu'.

I am grateful to Bill for his willingness to take on this duty.

Regards,
Don Wells

PS: The Mailman software which operates <fitsbits> was upgraded on
    Sunday 10-19 (8 days ago).  The new version 2.1.5 has new features
    to assist with management of mailing lists.  I am especially
    pleased by a new button which enables bulk deletion of spam
    traffic held for moderation.  However, the moderation policies
    associated with exploder<-->newsgroup gateways were changed in an
    unfortunate way which allowed several pieces of spam traffic to
    'leak' from sci.astro.fits to <fitsbits> unmoderated.  The first
    such traffic was titled '[fitsbits] RTGUI now has Scripting for
    Telescope Automation, & Double Star catalogs' and dated 'Mon, 20
    Sep 2004 18:54:05 GMT' (one week ago).  The goal of my test
    messages on Friday 10-24 was to develop a new combination of
    configuration settings which would return <fitsbits> to the mode
    of operation which it had with the previous version of Mailman.
    Please report any problems with <fitsbits> to Bill and/or me.

  Donald C. Wells        Scientist (retired)          dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  Charlottesville, Virginia USA                       +1-434-962-3363