[fitsbits] Start of the FITS MIME type Public Comment Period

Tim Pearson tjp at astro.caltech.edu
Thu May 20 14:47:34 EDT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 12:06 PM, William Pence wrote:

> This is to announce the official start of the 4-week formal Public
> Comment
> Period on the proposal to register 2 new Internet MIME media types for
> FITS
> data files: "image/fits" and "application/fits".

I believe that specifying two media types, application/fits and
image/fits, is confusing and unnecessary. A single type,
application/fits, should suffice.

The proposal does not provide clear, unambiguous instructions for
determining whether a given FITS file should be described as
application/fits or image/fits. The apparent intent of the proposal is
that the choice of media type should be used to convey information
about the file that cannot be determined merely by examining the
contents of the file. I think this is a mistake that will lead to
confusion and incompatibilities in implementation.

I understand that the authors of the proposal do not agree with me, but
I think this issue still needs further clarification.

Tim Pearson

Timothy J. Pearson
Astronomy Dept 105-24, Caltech, Pasadena, California 91125, USA