[fitsbits] Plate Center on POSS2 Plates

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 28 16:40:00 EDT 2004

Those keywords presumably give the coordinate of the center of the
wide-field photographic plate, which could be degrees away from the center
of the small image that you retrieved.  The approximate coordinates of the
center of your image appear to be given by the OBJCTRA and OBJCTDEC
keywords.  The exact coordinates of any pixel in the image can be calculated
from a complicated polynomial expression whose coefficients are given by the
PPnn, AMDXn, and AMDYn header keywords, but a much simplier way to get the
coordinates is to display the image using a program such as 'ds9' that does
the calculation for you.

Bill Pence

Dr. William Pence                          William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)