[fitsbits] Coordinate systems for solar image data

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 8 17:25:48 EDT 2004

There are two other coordinate systems that have been suggested in the
context of the VO: HGC and HCD.  I can't judge whether they are useful.

But I would suggest dropping GEI and HAE since, if I understand it
correctly, they are synonyms for ICRS and Ecliptic, respectively.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

William Thompson wrote:
> There's a new update of the paper Coordinate Systems for Solar Image Data
> available at
>
> http://orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov/~thompson/papers/coordinates.pdf
>
> I've tried to take all of your user comments into account.  Let me know if I
> missed anything.
>
> The major changes from the May 13th version are:
>
> 1.  Corrected the usage of i and j to match the final WCS paper usage.
>
> 2.  Corrected Table 1, in particular the keyword "iVn_m"
>
> 3.  Added a section on the use of cylindrical projections for synoptic maps.
>
> 4.  Added heliocentric inertial (HCI) from Franz and Harper to Table 4.
>
> Thank you to the people who've reviewed it so far for all your help.
>
> William Thompson

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu