[fitsbits] Re: FITS Bintable proposals

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 14 16:55:14 EST 2004

I concur with Bill's changes, but want to provide one clarification.

Actually, I was not thinking about unsigned 32-bit integers in the P
columns (I suppose Bill's assuming this says something about issues I
am associated with :-), but whether these P columns shouldn't really
contain 64 bit integers (or, if you like, pairs of 32 bit integers).
I realize that that would immediately cause trouble with certain
existing files, so it might be more prudent to define 'Q' as the
64-bit equivalent of 'P'.
Aside from that, I would, of course, be all in favor of using unsigned
integers in the 'P' format, especially since the negative values are
outlawed, as Bill points out.

  - Arnold

William Pence wrote:
> The following comments about the FITS binary table proposals from Arnold
> Rots and Preben Grosbol may be of general interest, so I'm reposting this
> here to the wider FITSBITS audience.  I have updated the draft proposals,
> available from http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/bintable_proposals.html with the
> changes that are discussed here.  -Bill Pence
>
> Arnold Rots wrote:
> > Re-reading all of this made me realize that, in retrospect, I am
> > uncomfortable with the 32 bit signed restriction.  Here we start
> > worrying about 64 bit integers but we restrict the size of the heap to
> > 2 GB through the second half of the P fields.
> > But I should not reopen the debate :-)
>
> Some reasons for restricting the array length and offset to signed
> integers are:
>   - there is no precedent in FITS for using unsigned 32-bit integers
>   - use of unsigned integers is problematic in some languages like Fortran
>   - as far as I'm aware, the current software implementations of the heap
>     (e.g. CFITSIO) interpret these values as signed integers
>
> I share your discomfort about this, however, and think that perhaps in the
> future we could reverse this decision and redefine these to be unsigned
> integers.  (This is possible because doing so would not invalidate any
> existing FITS files and thus would not violate the "once FITS, always FITS"
> rule).   We need more time to evaluate all the implications before making
> this decision, so for now I think it is best to restrict these fields to be
> signed integers, but leave the door open for a change in the future. (see
> also Preben's related comment, below)

> --

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu