[fitsbits] TDIMn

William Thompson William.T.Thompson.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 26 11:53:33 EDT 2004

The NASA/ESA SOHO project has been using TDIMn since 1995.  I strongly support
adopting TDIMn officially.

The IDL software I wrote many years ago for binary tables does support variable
length arrays, but I'm not aware of any projects within the solar community
actually using it.  I can ask around.

I'm not aware of any projects using the substring array convention, and am not
sure how well it's supported.  My own software does not explicitely support it,
but wouldn't be confused by its presence.

Bill Thompson