[fitsbits] FITS MIME RFC ready for review

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri May 30 02:07:02 EDT 2003

I have tidied up the draft text of the MIME proposal for FITS so that
it conforms exactly to the format required by the Internet Engineering
Standards Group.  It now has a table of contents for its 20 pages of
ASCII text.  During the past few months the only content changes have
been minor clarifications of wording in response to members of the
FITSMIME mailing list.

The main web page is
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/fits/mime/
The draft itself, comments on the draft, and an outline of the process
for becoming an RFC are linked there.

I would now like to receive comments from FITSBITS/sci.astro.fits

I am also about to ask the AAS WGAS FITS Committee for approval to get
an official title for the Internet Draft which would become the RFC.

I believe it is reasonable to set a goal of submitting the draft to
the RFC editor in late June or early July.  By the end of June I
expect that the process of reviewing and tweaking the text will be
complete.  Then I will ask the WGAS FITS Committee to request approval
from the IAUFWG for submitting the text to the RFC editor.

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla