[fitsbits] Maximum number of extensions

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon May 19 16:52:01 EDT 2003

Richard West wrote:

> Perhaps a daft question, but not one I've found an answer too in any of the
> FITS documentation I've looked in. Is there a formal limit to the number of
> extensions (HDUs) in a FITS file?
>
> CFITSIO seems to be quite happy creating and manipulating files with large
> numbers of extensions (ie. tens of thousands), though FTOOLs doesn't like
> any file with more than 1000.
>
> So I'm wondering if this is an artificial limit imposed by FTOOLs, or
> CFITSIO being (over-)flexible.

There is nothing in the FITS Standard definition document that limits the
number of extensions in a FITS file.  CFITSIO used to only support up to
1000 HDUs in a FITS file, which is why some of the ftools tasks have this
limit.  In July 2002 CFITSIO was modified to support an unlimited number of
HDUs in a FITS file.

Bill Pence