[fitsbits] Re: fits converter -> BMP/JPG code

@spameke name "nigelno\" at spameke name
Fri May 9 07:49:32 EDT 2003

Clive Page wrote:
> In article <e0b344df.0305072229.39ff27e1 at posting.google.com>,
> Darrell Porcello <porcello at uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Others have given you some suggestions.  But I'd like to point out an
> inherent problem in that FITS images don't contain a colour table
> (normally).  If you want to convert it to something which can be shown on a
> screen you have to supply some sort of mapping from the internal numbers
> (integers, reals, or whatever) to colours on the screen.  That means
> choosing the range of values to represent (with images of the sky it often
> helps to ignore the extremes of the distribution) and map them to a
> sensible table of colours (greyscale, rainbow, heat, or whatever...).

True, and just for info, in the images I've been processing and
mentioned in my previous posting I selected a greyscale representation.

Nigel.
--
   See me at http://nigel.eke.name/
[ Note: return address anti-spammed, sorry: remove no spam ]