[fitsbits] Re: fits converter -> BMP/JPG code

@spameke name "nigelno\" at spameke name
Thu May 8 21:15:52 EDT 2003

William Thompson wrote:
> porcello at uclink.berkeley.edu (Darrell Porcello) writes:

>>I was looking for a source for code that would take most fits images,
>>parse out its header and convert the image into a BMP or JPG format.
>>Freeware of pay, it doesn't matter. I have found lots of fits readers
>>and converters, but none really work for my purposes.
>
>>I am trying to design a GUI image processor that would itneract with a
>>fits image source, but I don't want to lose the header info.
>
>>Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> It's been a long time, but my recollection is that PBMPlus could do this
> conversion.  I think the modern name is NetPBM.  Look for either in Google.

I also think there's a FITS file import for Adobe Photoshop if you want
to go down that route.

I've successfully used the CFITSIO library with Borland C++ Builder and
have an application that creates bitmaps for display, and another that
strips the header information and creates a specific format for some
work being done by individuals at the Letchworth Astronomical Society.
This could be modifed to create BMPs.

[a similar question came up earlier wrt GIF format, but Builder doesn't
allow GIFs as one of its standard image formats, so I didn't take that
further].

Cheers,

Nigel
--
   See me at http://nigel.eke.name/
[ Note: return address anti-spammed, sorry: remove no spam ]