[fitsbits] Strange FITS File

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 26 14:12:18 EST 2003

One of the scientists who worked on the ASCA X-ray satellite mission
recognized this file as being a calibration file generated for that mission
in 1994.  It is available from:

ftp://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/caldb/data/asca/gis/bcf/rti_gis_1024_040693.fits

That extra blank FITS block at the end of the file was not intentional and
was the result of a processing or software glitch.  More recent files of
that type don't have that extra block.  Fortuitously, this meets the
requirement of a FITS 'special record', but that was not the intention.

Has any observatory or mission ever intentionally created FITS files
containing special records?  I never really understood the purpose of
special records.  Would it be prudent to deprecate special records before
someone abuses this large loop-hole in the definition of what constitutes a
FITS file?

Bill Pence