[fitsbits] Substract sky background

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Sun Jun 8 14:13:48 EDT 2003

Well, I for one use the IRAF background task to carry out these
operations.  It works well, is very flexible, and is free.  It is even
flexible enough to divide a solar active region image by the background
quiet sun level, which is what I've used it for lately.  The downside is
that you have to download and install all of IRAF to use it.
http://iraf.noao.edu/ .  A brief glance at the ftools documentation at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/ftools/ indicates that you
could probably put some of those tools together with a shell script to
do what you want as well.

If you are using a Microsoft OS, someone else will have to answer your
question :-)

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge