[fitsbits] FITS MIME RFC ready for review

Tom McGlynn tam at lheapop.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 2 14:14:29 EDT 2003

Hi Steve,

This is a very impressive document.  Thanks for putting it together.
I've only one substantive comment...

The requirement for use of the image/fits type prohibits using
it for null images.  This seems to me to be too restrictive.
I can imagine programs that return images where the image size
can range from 0 <= size of image <= some maximum where
there is a 'real' null image.  E.g., an image with
NAXIS1=512, NAXIS2=0 cannot be provided as an image.

The standard seems to require that a program that provides such
images would have to use application/fits.  Were I to create
such a program I suspect that I might use image/fits
in all cases despite it's being illegal.

	Tom