[fitsbits] Re: Reading floating point FITS files

Thierry Forveille forveill at cfht.hawaii.edu
Tue Dec 2 23:29:22 EST 2003

Mark Calabretta writes:
 > >Sure, but how many users are there that care about the data
 > >values/detailed coordinate information and that would not want
 > >to play with their own colour tables?
 >
 > Currently, there is not even a way to indicate in FITS that a particular
 > image (e.g. the crab nebula multispectral composite) is meant to have a
 > colour interpretation.

Sure, but does that need to be supportable in FITS at all?

 > > My guess is that there are large constituencies for each
 > >capability but that they are mostly disjoint. They might even be the same
 > >person by the way, just not at the same time: I am glad to use nicely
 > >prepackaged pictures for my classes, but for my research where I use the
 > >full data I'd play with the colours anyways to look for additional
 > >structure.
 >
 > Does this mean that you store the image data as jpeg, FITS, or both?

In one case jpeg (or Postcript) is fine, in the other FITS is fine. For me
the two cases are essentially non-overlapping, but when they are not one
can use both formats side by side on the same web site.

 > Of course, you would still be able to twiddle the colours in a colour
 > FITS dataset;
I do realise that the mechanism you propose would only provide a default
colour rendering (or perhaps several) for the data set.

 > > Most astronomical datasets have more information than can be
 > >displayed on a screen no matter how smart the lookup table choice, so
 > >we'd just make one particular reasonable choice. That's fine if it
 > >can be done (very) simply, but otherwise I'd rather stick to jpeg (or
 > >postscript, or whatever) stored next to the fits file on the web site.
 >
 > You would almost always want to do that anyway because the general public
 > cannot be expected to have ready access to FITS viewers.  However, that
 > is not the point.

My point is that people who do have access to FITS viewers probably
do not care too much about being provided a default colour rendering.
Of course I am just one single data point and perfectly willing to be
outvoted, but for now I haven't seen an outcry of users begging for
the feature. Also, my position would depend on the complexity of the
implementation: if the cost is small, the usefulness standard can
be lowered a bit...