[fitsbits] INSTRUME, TELESCOP, etc.

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 4 14:04:47 EDT 2003

Here's what Chandra uses, in accordance with HEASARC convention:

MISSION = 'AXAF    '      / Project
TELESCOP= 'CHANDRA '      / Telescope
INSTRUME= 'HRC     '      / Instrument
GRATING = 'LETG    '      / Grating
DETNAM  = 'HRC-S   '      / Detector
OBS_MODE= 'POINTING'      / Observation mode
DATAMODE= 'OBSERVING'     / Data mode

In a sense, MISSION is equivalent to OBSERVAT.

  - Arnold

William Thompson wrote:
> I was reviewing a document suggesting keywords to be used in FITS headers, and I
> was wondering if there was any kind of defacto standard beyond that in the FITS
> definition.  The keywords being suggested were as follows
>
> 	INSTRUME	FITS Standard
> 	TELESCOP	FITS Standard
>
> 	DETECTOR	The detector used
> 	INSTITUT	The institution
> 	OBSERVAT	The observatory
> 	NETWORK		I think this keyword is meant to be used for data taken 				by a
> network of observatories, such as the GONG network.
>
> Except for the first two, which are standard FITS keywords, are any of the other
> keywords used elsewhere?  Or are their other forms which capture the same concepts?
>
> Thank you,
>
> William Thompson

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu