[fitsbits] WCS announcements

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Dec 20 16:43:43 EST 2002

On Fri 2002-12-20T12:06:38 +1100, Mark Calabretta hath writ:
> The first two world coordinate system papers were submitted to A&A on
> 2002/07/24 and accepted for publication with minor changes on 2002/09/09.
> They should be on your library shelves now, or will appear shortly:
	[ and URLs are given where these new standards can be found online]
> We are pleased to advise that the three regional FITS committees and
> IAU FWG have voted without dissent to accept these papers as FITS
> standards.

One of the things that became evident while drafting the MIME types
documents was that all online copies of the NOST document which
defines FITS are hosted from web servers within the United States.
Now that WCS I and II are part of the standard it makes sense that
they should be presented together with the main standard at the web
sites that host it.

This raises two questions:

Is there any impediment to having the text of WCS I and II hosted
by the servers which have the NOST standard?

Are there any sites outside the United States in a position to
host copies of all the FITS documents?

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla