[fitsbits] Full moderation now (or 'Klez strikes Mailman')

Don Wells dwells at NRAO.EDU
Thu Aug 1 15:25:29 EDT 2002

Dear <fitsbits>/sci.astro.fits subscribers,

About 8 hours ago the <fitsbits> mailing list distributed a message:

    From: dwells <dwells at NRAO.EDU>
    To: fitsbits at NRAO.EDU
    Subject: [fitsbits] Cellspacing
    Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:15:52 +0200

That message did not come from me.  It appears to have been produced
by an instance of a 'Klez' virus [*] executing on some computer in the
+0200 timezone, probably in South Africa if the Received lines in the
header can be believed.

The Klez virus found 'fitsbits at nrao.edu' and 'dwells at nrao.edu' in an
address book on the infected machine and chose them randomly as the To
and From lines of the message it generated.  The message was
distributed by <fitsbits> *automatically* because the From line
appeared to come from a list member (me in this case). A
non-list-member From line in such a Klez message would have been
presented to me (the 'owner' of <fitsbits>) for approval; I reject
such messages frequently.

Until today I thought that it would be highly unlikely that a random
combination of To and From lines would be distributed by <fitsbits>
automatically.  Now I know that this is a real, significant risk.

Therefore, I have made a change:

    <fitsbits> is now presenting all posts to me for approval.

I expect to change the operating mode back to "Restrict posting
privilege to list members" in about two months, when NRAO will install
a virus filter.

Regards,
Don Wells ['owner' of <fitsbits at nrao.edu>]

[*] see
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.gen.html
  Donald C. Wells      Scientist - GBT Project        dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-434-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA
       (DCW is often in Green Bank, West Virginia, at +1-304-456-2146)