[fitsbits] FITS to BMP

Stupendous Man richmond at a188-l009.rit.edu
Thu Apr 18 20:18:55 EDT 2002

  Shannon Prance <shannonp at foxboro.com.au> wrote:

>I am currently completing a thesis at university on astrophotography
>image processing (I am new to both astronomy and image processing) and
>have been searching for any open source code or even just some advice on
>how to convert from fits to bitmap...

  If you need only 10-20 such conversions, I suggest:

     a) display FITS image with FV,
           http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools/fv/
        then grab screen and save as BMP

   or

     b) load FITS image into Photoshop with the plugin you can find here
           http://users.bigpond.net.au/eddiet/fitsplug/fitsplug.htm

  If you need to convert many tens or hundreds of image automatically,
you could try

     a) the PBMPLUS package, which handles _some_ FITS images
           (though I'm not sure which ones)
       http://www.faqs.org/faqs/graphics/fileformats-faq/part3/section-97.html

   or

     b) the ImageMagick package
       http://www.imagemagick.org/

--
-----
Michael Richmond                   "This is the heart that broke my finger."