[fitsbits] Re: Plotting image from a FITS File

Stupendous Man richmond at a188-l009.rit.edu
Wed Apr 17 15:45:02 EDT 2002

  Sonali Kale <kalesonali at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have finished with viewing header and table information contained in a fits
> file in a browser. But I am not able to read the image contained in a file. I
> am able to read the pixels . But, I am not able to display the image.
> Does anyone know how to plot the pixels to draw an image ?

  I don't mean to sound rude, but if you don't know how to draw
the pixels, you shouldn't be asking people here; you should find a
computer graphics group, or textbook.  That isn't astronomy --
it's computer science.

  The answer will depend on the operating system of your computer,
the available graphics libraries, the language in which your are
writing, and so forth.

  It's not going to be easy.  I'd recommend downloading a free
product like FV

         http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/ftools/fv/

and forgetting about writing a program yourself.  I have written
my own image display programs, and it takes a lo-o-o-ong time.

--
-----
Michael Richmond                   "This is the heart that broke my finger."