[fitsbits] 64-bit integers

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 25 17:59:56 EDT 2001

Bill,

If we are considering tinkering with the data types, at last, should
we consider including old unfinished business and add the unsigned
integers as well?  Such as:

 1  YES - I think 64-bit integers should be added to FITS, but not
          unsigned integers
 2  NO  - I do not think 64-bit integers should be added to FITS, at
          least not at this time, nor should unsigned integers.
 3  UNDECIDED - I have not yet made up my mind
 4  NO OPINION - I don't care one way or the other
 5  YES - I think 64-bit integers should be added to FITS, as should
          unsigned integers
 6  NO  - I do not think 64-bit integers should be added to FITS, at
          least not at this time, but unsigned integers should.

  - Arnold

William Pence wrote:

> Opinion Poll Request:
>
> In order to help gauge the level of support in the FITS community for adding
> 64-bit integers as a native data type in the definition of the FITS format,
> I'd like to take a straw poll of the readers of this news group.  This poll
> is completely unofficial and unscientific, but it may help in deciding how
> strongly this issue should be pursued through the official channels.  So, if
> you have an opinion one way or the other on this issue, please send an email
> message to pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov (Do Not flood this newsgroup with your
> votes) with one of the following choices in the body of the email message:
>
>  1  YES - I think 64-bit integers should be added to FITS
>  2  NO  - I do not think 64-bit integers should be added to FITS, at
>           least not at this time.
>  3  UNDECIDED - I have not yet made up my mind
>  4  NO OPINION - I don't care one way or the other
>
> I'll simply tabulate the number of votes in each category; the names of who
> voted will not be released to anyone else.    I'll accept votes until 12
> midnight, Friday, Sept 28, 2001.
>
> -Bill Pence
> --
> Dr. William Pence                          pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
> NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
> Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu