[fitsbits] BITPIX=64

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Sep 21 14:04:45 EDT 2001

On Fri 2001-09-21T18:03:20 +0200, Francois Ochsenbein hath writ:
> On my side, I'm convinced by Bill's arguments -- if the usage of FITS
> binary tables is expected to continue in the future, I don't see how
> we could avoid the extension to the 64-bit integer arithmetics in the
> future...

How will the inclusion of 64-bit integers as a native type interact
with TFORMn = 'P'?  This is the "Array Descriptor" type whose use
appears to be intended much like that of a 64-bit pointer.

The usage of 'P' is not prescribed by the current standard.  Would it
become irrelevant, or would the meaning suggested in the appendix
still persist?

I'd like to see response from the authors of the BINTABLE paper on this.

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla