[fitsbits] FITS vs. TIFF (or other image formats)

Mike Nolan nolan at naic.edu
Tue Nov 20 08:33:30 EST 2001

Actually, I'd think FITS is exactly what you want: You can put
coordinate and unit information in the header as ASCII text that anyone
can read, and you can store your 8-bit data as a binary 8-bit image
with lossless compression. CFITSIO does the one weird bit transparently
(i.e., FITS data are signed, but allow for an offset and scale, which
CFITSIO applies transparently).

On the other hand, it's not polite to send to a list and not include a
working, if antispammed, email address.

-Mike