[fitsbits] Re: FITS vs. TIFF (or other image formats)

Paul Schlyter pausch at saaf.se
Mon Nov 19 14:02:48 EST 2001

In article <tviganlgcs4r48 at corp.supernews.com>,
Rick Armstrong <careful at times.com> wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>
>> FITS is a general data storage
>> format, not just an image format
>
>Aha!,  makes sense.
>
>> Regarding "some other format":
>> which other format were you thinking of?
>
>.bmp, .jpeg, ...etc.,  any of the other myriad image file formats.

They are all image formats, not general data storage formats.

FITS doesn't store images in a particularly efficient way though,
mostly because it's an ASCII format.  However being an ASCII format
means it's easily transported between widely different computers.
And I believe that was one major aim of FITS: to be portable between
as many computers as possible, including several mainframes which
nowadays are considered obsolete.