[fitsbits] Image Extension Question

Randall Thompson rthomp at stsci.edu
Tue Feb 27 16:57:00 EST 2001

Hi Chris,
   Yes the Image extension like the primary HDU allows the use of
the "reserved" keywords BSCALE, BZERO, and BLANK. These keywords
are not "mandatory", but when used, must conform to the definition
specified in the FITS standard. In general, I think the use of
floating point data is preferred over scaled integers.

   The original Image extension paper can be found at:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1994A%26AS..105...53P

  A list of the reserved FITS keywords can be found in tables F.2 and
F.3
in Appendix F of the FITS standard:
http://archive.stsci.edu/fits/fits_standard/node89.html#SECTION0019

See also comments regarding the use of these keywords versus
floating point data at:
http://archive.stsci.edu/fits/fits_standard/node49.html#SECTION00103

Randy