[fitsbits] FIT Keyword data dictionaries

Mark Calabretta Mark.Calabretta at atnf.csiro.au
Thu Nov 2 18:32:13 EST 2000

On Wed 2000/11/01 10:42:18 -0800, Steve Allen wrote
in a message to: FITSbits <fitsbits at nrao.edu>

>Yes, nevertheless, the distinction between astronomical and geodetic
>position could be relevant to some applications.  For that reason I'd
>prefer to see something like
>SITEGLON
>SITEGLAT
>SITEALON
>SITEALAT
>along with the relevant distinction between geoid height and elevation
>vs. orthometric height that come along with curvature of the plumb line.

There are a number of celestial and terrestrial reference frames, you'd
need to specify which.  Likewise for the various geodetic datums:

   http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GEOID/
   http://www.auslig.gov.au/geodesy/datums/datums.htm
   http://www.wgs84.com
   http://acro.harvard.edu/SSA/BGA/os-note.html

Use of Cartesian coordinates would help to alleviate some confusion.

Mark Calabretta
ATNF