[fitsbits] top or bottom

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu May 4 12:20:33 EDT 2000

On Thu 2000-05-04T09:32:43 +0100, Clive Page hath writ:
> To drag this back to FITS: one of the advantages of using Fortran90 to
> call FITSIO is that you can set up a module containing interface
> definitions of all the FITSIO routines you ever use, which makes sure
> that most types of errors in call statements get detected at
> compile-time.   Since such errors are very easy to make, and hard to
> diagnose in Fortran77 (and C) programs, I find this feature alone worth the
> price of a compiler.

Unless I'm very mistaken, this is praise for the exact same feature
that is enabled by ANSI C prototyping.  I rely on this feature daily.

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla