[fitsbits] Re: FITS for DSN spectral line observations

Tom Kuiper kuiper at dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 30 17:27:34 EDT 2000

Greetings all.

Since my last communication (and taking time for a vacation) I've digested
the many helpful inputs I got and am now starting a draft plan for DSN FITS
keywords.  Initially, I only address the area of spectroscopy, because that's
what's driving this.

The goals I'm trying to accomplish are these:
- Keep the data in as raw a form as possible.
- Provide standard processing options but allow the observer a wide latitude
  for customization.
- Keep a record of what was done to data.
- Use standard (or at least widely accepted) keywords as much as possible.
- Avoid conflict with local keywords used elsewhere.
- Maximize compatibility with existing software packages.

These seem ambitious but I think they can be done,  Please look at the first
cut presented in http://DSNra.jpl.nasa.gov/devel/fits/

Bear in mind that I'm learning FITS as I go, so don't assume that I know about
any pitfalls.

Looking forward to your comments

Tom

--
Internet:       kuiper at DSNra.JPL.NASA.gov (137.79.89.31)
SnailMail:      Jet Propulsion Lab 169-506, Pasadena, CA 91109