[fitsbits] keyword for data type

Phil Hodge hodge at bowline.stsci.edu
Sat Jun 24 12:05:52 EDT 2000

Tom Kuiper <kuiper at dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> I'd like to have a keyword that tell me if the data in a FITS file have
> been processed, or if they are raw.  Something like
>
> DATATYPE= 'raw'
> DATATYPE= 'calibrated'
> DATATYPE= 'processed'
>
> Is there anything already defined along those lines?

There is no standard keyword.  For Space Telescope data we define keywords
with a similar purpose, but we have a separate keyword for each calibration
step.  For example, DARKCORR for dark subtraction, FLATCORR for flat-field
correction.  We use 'PERFORM' to mean that the step should be done, and
'OMIT' to mean that it should not be done.  The calibration routine changes
the value to 'COMPLETE' if the step was in fact performed.

Phil