[fitsbits] EXPOSURE

Mike Nolan nolan at naic.edu
Mon Jun 5 18:04:52 EDT 2000

The Single Dish FITS convention (an old convention that has been
revived for use with aips++) specifies the keyword EXPOSURE, so that's
how all recent Arecibo data files have been written.  It also
specifies a time axis that will in any case I can think of be
single-pixel.  It would be nice to find a way to make the axis
multi-pixel, but there are numerous problems with that.

There are those who hope that if aips++ uses it, it will become
standard.  Whether that's true or not, I can't say.  If your other
choice is to make up the format yourself, I'd suggest that SDFits would
be a much better idea.  On the other hand, at the moment, I don't know
of anything but aips++ that reads it.

My other hope is to write files that IRAF can read and believe are
spectra directly, which maintaining all of the information important to
radio data; but I'm not yet terribly familiar with those parts of
IRAF.

The document for single-dish FITS is:
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/documents/drafts/dishfits/dishfits.ps
and there are example files in that directory.  There's also a
mailing list, but it's "low-traffic" (as in none in several years).

-Mike