[fitsbits] EXPOSURE or OBSTIME?

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jun 5 17:03:45 EDT 2000

On Mon 2000-06-05T11:34:09 -0700, Tom Kuiper hath writ:
> I'm leaning towards a solution similar to that used at Lick, where they have
> both the keywords EXPOSURE and TTIME, which mean the same thing, the latter
> being there for backward compatibility.

Although I'm the one that pointed to this way of doing things, I'd
like to assert that I don't think it is a good idea.  Duplicating the
same value into two different keywords was an engineering tradeoff
adopted for reasons more political than technical.

It should have been avoided, and would have if a data reduction
package in use had a means for translating keywords in the fashion
akin to that provided by IRAF.

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla