[fitsbits] Re: FITS support within ACDSee

Andy andy.protano at NOSPAMcare4free.net
Tue Jul 18 17:08:43 EDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:14:15 -0700, Bob Denny <rdenny at dc3.com> wrote:

>Rob --
>
>I'm an avid ACDSee user (for a couple of years now). And I work with FITS
>files all the time. With that said, I'll caution you about FITS. It's "big",
>there are jillion variations, and many images need some sort of processing to
>be visually usable. At a minimum, you'd need to make a brightness histogram
>and do an intensity stretch to bring out the image. People will argue with you
>that you didn't do it "right> So you'd need to provide controls... there's
>much more.
>
>I'd recommend you pass on it. It most probably won't add to your revenue
>enough to justify the development and support costs.
>
>  -- Bob

  Having work with Fits/Pds and vicars for quite a while, I would
second the above comments, but add that from my experience the minimum
post-processing step would be a "normalize" function.

  Andy