[fitsbits] HST, HDFS, FITS, CFITSIO, and GEIS

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 27 12:31:09 EST 2000

Adam,

CFITSIO is a subroutine interface that can be used to read FITS files
(including the WFPC2 data) if you are writing your own C or Fortran programs.
IRAF/STSDAS on the other hand is a higher level package of complete programs
that perform various operations on the data files. The  "archival FITS format"
is not anything special; these files should conform to the FITS standard.
Regarding GEIS formats, I believe most IRAF/STSDAS tasks can read FITS format
files directly so it is probably not necessary to convert them to GEIS first.

-Bill Pence
Dr. William Pence                          pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)