Fwd:[fitsbits] Hubble Images

goldsteing at who.ch goldsteing at who.ch
Wed Jan 26 10:56:16 EST 2000

Martin

I have used these images extensively with Fitsview, a PC-windows based program.
(use the
files with _cof in the name, eg the file u2bx0102t_c0f.fits).  Fitsview has a
facility to select and re-load each of the 4 planes in an image.  Find Fitsview
via http://www.phy.duke.edu/~kolena/imagepro.html)
The other Windows programs such as fv are not as good as Fitsview. The main
limitation I have found with it is that you cannot do contours. The contrast and
brightness adjustment slider controls are very good indeed.
In the linux program DS9, only plane 1 of the 4 planes can be viewed in the
current version.

A guide to using/interpreting the datasets with PC based software (windows or
linux) would be really welcome.
I would like to hear of any solutions that you find...

Greg Goldstein

Has anybody had any success - or otherwise! - with FITS images
downloaded from the HST archives?

They will not load into any of the PC based software I have.

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, UK

Why not visit my Asteroids and Variable Star Site at
http://www.further-education.com/stardial/stardial.htm