[fitsbits] FITS reading problems

Liam Gretton ljg at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Jan 17 06:50:10 EST 2000

Hi,

I'm using my own port of CFITSIO 2.024 to RISC OS (this may or may not be
relevant, but RISC OS is a desktop OS that isn't like Unix at all).

I've found that trying to read a keyword that isn't present in a FITS file
means that all subsequent attempts to read keywords that *are* present fail.

For example, using

  fits_read_key_str(ffile, "ORIGIN", value, NULL, &status);

when the ORIGIN keyword is not present returns a status of 202
(KEY_NO_EXIST) as expected. I've tried using fits_clear_errmsg() after this
to allow my code to continue reading the rest of the file, but to no avail.
Even closing and re-opening the file doesn't help!

Any suggestions to solve this irritating problem would be gratefully
received.

Liam Gretton                                              ljg at star.le.ac.uk
Space Research Centre,                             http://www.src.le.ac.uk/
Physics and Astronomy Dept,                      phone +44 (0) 116 223 1039
University of Leicester,                          fax  +44 (0) 116 252 2464
Leicester LE1 7RH, UK                             http://xmm4.xra.le.ac.uk/