[fitsbits] NOST 100-2.0

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 29 17:48:20 EST 2000

If one goes back to the older NOST 100-1.0 and NOST 100-1.1 documents,
section 5.2.1.1 begins with this sentence: "Principal mandatory keywords other
than SIMPLE are required in all FITS headers".  Also, the caption to Table 5.1
(which lists the following keywords: SIMPLE, BITPIX, NAXIS, NAXISn, and END)
reads "Principal mandatory keywords".  In NOST 100-2.0 that first sentence
(now in section 5.4.1.1) has been deleted and the caption to Table 5.1 has
been changed to "Mandatory keywords for the primary header".

So, it looks to me like the term "Principal Mandatory Keywords" was originally
intended to include the following list of keywords: SIMPLE BITPIX, NAXIS,
NAXISn, and END.  The Appendix F (or D depending on the version) also includes
the EXTEND keyword in this list, which I think is technically incorrect.

In any case, "principal" is not synonymous with "primary"; instead it was
intended to define the "principal" set of mandatory keywords that must be
present in every FITS header (except SIMPLE).   I don't remember the details
at this point, but I think the NOST technical panel that drafted the 100-2.0
version of the document found the use of the term "principal" to be confusing
and removed it from several places in the document, but didn't remove every
instance of it (it probably should have).  Table 5.3 explicitly lists all
these keywords as being required in conforming extensions, so I don't think
that the term 'principal' retains any useful meaning in this context.

-Bill Pence

Dr. William Pence                          pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)