[fitsbits] Windows FITS viewer / data extraction

George Dishman george at briar.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 15:13:58 EST 2000

"William Pence" <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:3A3E52DF.1C49AC10 at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov...
> We'll add this export function to the next release of fv.  In the meantime,
> I can suggest 2 work arounds:

Excellent. Since you already have a copy function, adding support for
formats to allow direct paste into other windows programs would be
useful too, though I don't know if there are enough other windows users
to make it worth the effort.

> 1)  Create a dummy FITS image (use 'New File' in fv) with a 'float' datatype
> and size 182 x 5964 (the size of your vector table).  Then use the fv 'cut
> and paste' buffer to copy the vector table to the image (email me off line
> if you need further instructions).  Then you can export the image to a text
> file.  It is rather unwieldy to deal with the whole table at once, so you
> may prefer to work with a few rows at at time (e.g. copy and dump a 182 x 10
> image).

Thanks, that was just the help I needed, though entering "182 x 5964" as
the size generated a 3d table with 0 entries in the 2nd dimension. I soon
twigged though.

> 2) You can easily extract a single 182-pixel vector spectrum from the FIRAS
> table into a FITS image file using the 'fitscopy' program that is
> distributed along with CFITSIO (or the fcopy program in ftools). For
> example, the command
>
>   fitscopy 'intable[1;spectrum(8)]' outimage.fits

I might try that later, but I have exported the single table and imported
into Excel so now I can extract whatever I need from there, or even link
to it as an external database and pull any single spectrum with a query.

Thanks for the assistance.

Merry Christmas
--
Give me a small laser and I'll move the sun.
Weep not for those who were, rather for those who may never be.